Thursday, February 21, 2008
the kids are fucking rad:
It's pretty hard to report stories about Steve Bradbury and Barack Obama when a grown-up Erica from the Schizophrenics facebook-messages you after a 13-year silence to let you know that Liz from her band is not only a comic book artist but has documented the mid-90s ABC No Rio scene that even today makes you wistful and nostalgic.

You see the sleepy-eyed girl with the black hair in this picture? That's Derya, who made me one of the mixtapes that started it all back in my freshman year of high school. By stunning punk-rock telepathy, she facebook'd me like yesterday and posted something very embarrassing on my fB page. This picture also features the infamous Caroline -- with the dog collar -- who's involved in one of my favorite ABC stories of all time, in which I miss The Pist's last-ever NYC performance and it was worth it. Colin's cousin Camille is on the far right. The skinhead girl on the left? I don't remember her name either and it's KILLING me, but she ended up writing for New York Press just after I left. Michelle Chen! She's Michelle Chen!

Right now I'm waiting for a callback from Manhattan Congressman Jerrold Nadler -- that Bradbury piece -- and I kind of want to ask him what his thoughts are on having the basement of that cafe by Columbia University used for Violent Society/Hysterics/Prozac Nation shows.

Update: Furious George! They played that show too. Everyone help George out, as he's a national punk-rock treasure. I should have included him in the New York Press post.
--Spencer Ackerman
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous Anonymous | 8:31 PM

I've heard that cafe has become a frat-bar, or something equally vile. Also, don't forget the appearance of Furious George at that show. It wouldn't be a Saturday afternoon in 1996 without an "I am Gilligan" singalong.
Blogger TheWaldganger | 4:06 AM

Derya, I totally meant it as a joke. I invite you to comb through my archives or Google me. You will quickly see that there is little else I could possibly do to ruin my reputation. Posting that picture was awesome. But I don't like Joanna Newsome.

***, I can't believe I forgot about Furious George. Do you remember that time when Tabb and Evan were making fun of us and said that they were going to start bands called National Review and New Republic?
Blogger Spencer Ackerman | 5:14 AM

This is Liz, would this be Spencer of Bronx Science fame? Anyways, I am curious what is this story about Caroline and the Pist? I feel like I remember this story in the back of my head but I'm not recalling the details.
Blogger Liz Baillie | 10:24 AM

Lizzzzzz so awesome to hear from you! I will have to tell you the Caroline story off this blog, as it's beneath even my standards. You can see my email address, right? If not, it's my name, all one word, at gmail dot com.
Blogger Spencer Ackerman | 10:40 AM