Wednesday, February 20, 2008
you let me down for the second time straight:
I have this half-baked idea to record songs with slightly rewritten lyrics, under the faux-Barthean pretext that recording mistaken lyrics as they initially sounded to a perplexed listener creates a certain jouissance. You tweak the meaning that way. Sorry, but I think this is an interesting idea and you're not going to talk me out of it. We'll see what my partner-in-Surge thinks.

For instance. I'm at my desk, deep in the exhausted haze that occurs right after you file a piece. So to wake myself up I put on Archers of Loaf's Vee Vee record, and heard Eric Bachmann sing, "Side by side with the Taliban/ cut into your face." Now, those clearly aren't the real lyrics. But dammit they should be. And with The Surge on its way to the battlefield, perhaps they will be.
--Spencer Ackerman