Sunday, March 02, 2008
whatever you want, you're gonna get it:
I forgot how amazing it was for Sleater-Kinney to cover "Tommy Gun" in the wake of 9/11. But my God, listen to this. A couple of years ago Jason Zengerle wrote a piece for TNR lamenting that there's no new Bob Dylan to sing antiwar anthems, even though Jason isn't clearly against the war, but he neglected all of One Beat. (The piece isn't online anymore, but it was reprised in a tiresome way by the clueless David Browne.) A song like "Combat Rock" was way too hot for TNR, especially back in 2002, but it's clear who demonstrated the greater wisdom, judgment and courage. (I'm including myself in this indictment! Calm down!)

There's no more S-K, obviously. But there is much more war. So who's going to take up the banner and cover "Combat Rock" and "Entertain"? I can think of some candidates.
--Spencer Ackerman
Tom Waits- Real Gone (October 3, 2004)
The Day After Tomorrow.
Blogger Unknown | 12:40 PM

I just want Born Against to re-form. Or someone Born Againsty. Reagan was great for music, so I don't understand the dearth of political music these days.
Blogger annie | 3:53 PM

God bless you, Annie. What is Sam McPheeters doing these days?
Blogger Spencer Ackerman | 9:19 PM

I had a similar experience at work in 2004, where all the old hippies lamented that there were no anti-Bush songs, but they heard that maybe Neil Young was going to do something...
Blogger ron | 4:27 AM

Topper Weiss!
Blogger Marty Lederman | 7:23 AM

I have a Topper tattoo. Thought about getting a Janet tattoo. Still thinking about it, actually.
Blogger Spencer Ackerman | 12:27 PM