Friday, March 14, 2008
but the war won't stop for the love of God:
I'm in Silver Spring at the Winter Soldier conference I previewed for the Independent in January. If you don't see any more posts from me for awhile, it's because I'm blogging the conference at The Streak.

But I don't know how much more of this I can take. My journalism is fucking worthless. I'm afraid every word I write will be either voyeuristic, inadequate or exploitative. At one point I saw two reporters emerge from a wrenching panel on the rules of engagement in Iraq laughing. If I had listened to the first thing that went through my head, I would be in jail. I feel calmer now, but but but but -- that's all. I apologize in advance for the work I produce today not being capable of telling the story that's being told.

There's mental-health counseling on-site. I'm not a soldier, obviously. But I might go. How pathetic am I.

Video of Winter Soldier is here.
--Spencer Ackerman
Your journalism is worth a lot to me and I'm sure many others. Without you and Juan Cole, I wouldn't know half the shit I know about what's happening. Do whatever you need to do to stay well (counseling, breaks, whatever) cuz we need people like you.
Blogger Unknown | 1:42 PM