Thursday, March 20, 2008
things have never been so swell:
I'm too drunk to say anything coherent about these books now, but Heads In The Sand by Matthew Yglesias and They Knew They Were Right by Jacob Heilbrunn really, really are as brilliant as the early whispers would suggest. Today I got Nixonland by Rick Perlstein in the mail and I look forward to devouring it this weekend.

More on Matt's book and Jacob's book when I sober up.
--Spencer Ackerman
I'm looking forward to Matt's book, but I'm not that impressed with Heilbrunn's book. Maybe it's because I knew most of the stuff contained in it, and maybe it's because it's somewhat poorly written and repetitive. It's a good "orientation" book on the history of neoconservatism and its implications, and the extensive interviewing he's done adds some interesting depth. But in the final analysis, I'm sort of left scratching my head as to why two people I respect, you and Steve Clemons, are so very enthusiastic about the book.
Blogger Damir | 4:51 AM

You didn't think the Podhoretz Wing and the Kristol Wing possessed tremendous explanatory capability?
Blogger Spencer Ackerman | 6:42 AM