Monday, December 18, 2006
They say the classics never go out of style, but they do, they do:
Welcome to the redesign, courtesy of J'myle, who's a goddamned genius.
--Spencer Ackerman
Great blog, Spencer. But the redesign renders semi-shitty on Firefox, Safari and OmniWeb on a Mac. Your sidebar bleeds text into your posts.
Blogger Damir | 7:21 AM

Hey cool, you're blog looks just like The National Review now. Damn, I meant The New Republic. Whoops...happens all the time.
Blogger Michael Roston | 7:37 AM

Congratulations on the redesign.

Still, as long as there are nits to be picked ...

The title banner at the top reads (on my Internet Explorer 6, Windows XP system) as "Hot For TNR", with nary a "Too" to be seen; it's covered up by the blue bar with the Blogger logo and various options (search this blog, etcetera). If there's anything above the "TNR articles" link, it is similarly hidden.

Also, the Recent Posts all sort of run togetherl if each was followed by an extra half-line or something, it's be easier to read.
Blogger Hillel | 7:44 AM

That was a mean thing to do to people who haven't finished their morning coffee. I was all set to argue with Jason Zengerle before I realized the picture was different and that he's not a yankees fan.

BTW, for formatting (running Firefox under linux), I have good results with smaller type-fonts (It's ctrl-minus sign for me here, and command/apple-minus on a Mac).
Blogger jfaberuiuc | 8:08 AM

So you're just "Hot for TNR," which is wrong in so, so many ways.

Yet, in the end, so, so right.
Blogger Pooh | 10:12 AM

Hey, it's the famous Nadezhda! I'm honored. Thanks to everyone for pointing out the flaws in the redesign -- your crack THFTNR tech staff is on it. Working tirelessly. For you.
Blogger Spencer Ackerman | 11:05 AM

Whoa -- the blog shows up in all caps to you? That, um, isn't good.
Blogger Spencer Ackerman | 12:04 PM

All,

Crack tech guy here. And thank you Spencer for calling me that and not an underemployed geek with too much time on his hands: both descriptions are accurate.

The sidebar bleed issue should be resolved as soon as Spencer uploads the lastest version of the template. The "hot for tnr" issue will be less resolved, but I am working on it.

As for IE, I'm sorry about the all-caps. I'm working on that, too, but it's tough because I don't have IE on my computer, and Firefox simply doesn't do counter-intuitive things like carry over the all-caps formatting from the post title to the post itself. (Could Marty P. and Bill G. be in cahoots?)

In the meantime, please keep noting problems on this thread and I'll keep fixing them and/or patiently explaining why they're not going to get fixed.
Blogger J'myle | 12:23 PM

The all-caps thing is fixed. Now I got to go to work and make a living, but I'll add the date & time to comments in a later fix. Anything else?
Blogger J'myle | 1:23 PM

Oh, and the link to Kirston's blog not working? That, like the Thirty Years War, is not my fault.
Blogger J'myle | 1:28 PM

(Since we were specifically invited to continue mentioning any issues ...)

The title of the first post is cut off by the blog title's box above it.

And the All Caps is not fixed yet.

Both these comments are reflecting what I see with IE 6 and Windows XP. If I were less lazy - or if I were more hip - I'd be using Firefox.
Blogger Hillel | 1:47 PM

This is a petty thing, but in Firefox 2.0 the last part of SPENCERACKERMAN leaves the name box and juts out into the text. Other than that, it looks pretty nice.
Blogger joedokes | 2:04 PM

The all-caps explosion is also present in the latest version of Opera, so it's not an IE7-specific problem.
Blogger T.H. | 3:33 PM

OK, I hope this is all good now. J'myle is a friggin genius.
Blogger Spencer Ackerman | 4:11 PM

Okay, when I come to individual posts via a feed reader (Sage, in my case) I get no comments and no link by which to see the comments. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that ain't normal.
Blogger jhupp | 7:59 PM