Saturday, January 12, 2008
we were riding north to chicago on route 65, we had played the first show on a tour of 45:
ZOMG. Via Noah Shachtman, the greatest development of the war so far: the Army has put out a contract for a rock band to play for the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Noah and I hereby announce the formation of our national-security blogger supergroup, Error: 404. We intend to win this contract. As Noah points out, the Army is looking for celebrities. When defining an "excellent" candidate, the contract stipulates, "The Proposed Group contains at least one member who is a recognizable celebrity nationally or internationally." Not very punk rock, but not to fear, as we're internet celebrities. What's more, IRL, he's a bass player of renown. While it's not for me to disclose what well-known NYC band he played with, I can tell you that I saw them several times in high school. (An "adequate" candidate contains one member "who may be recognizable within a certain metropolitan community.") It's a privilege to be his drummer.

But here's the thing: We need a guitarist and a singer. Maybe a keyboardist. Do you manipulate an effects pedal as easily as you use Moveable Type? Do you have a burning desire to tour on a C-17? Do you have the balls to cover Anti-Cimex's "Victims of A Bomb Raid" at Ali al-Salem? Error: 404 wants you. Serious inquiries only. Let's get this money.

--Spencer Ackerman
Um, I don't play lead, but I can do pretty decent rhythm guitar...

And I know someone who must be the only person now employed as a professor of classics to have previously been the lead guitarist for a pretty famous band...
Blogger Hilary | 7:19 PM

Also, I have a Telecaster, and could pretend to play lead...
Blogger Hilary | 7:20 PM

Whoa! Our internet supergroup status would skyrocket if you'd join.
Blogger Spencer Ackerman | 6:53 AM

I can play tambourine. Every group needs a Linda McCartney.
Blogger TS | 8:01 AM

I do a mean Bonnie Tyler. You're telling me you don't want to close out your show with "Holding Out for a Hero"?
Blogger Charlie | 5:14 AM

I do a mean Bonnie Tyler. You're telling me you don't want to close out your show with "Holding Out for a Hero"?
Blogger Charlie | 5:15 AM

Charlie, I was waiting for you to volunteer. I toyed with the idea of including a "Total Eclipse of the Heart" reference in the post.
Blogger Spencer Ackerman | 6:29 AM