Saturday, January 19, 2008
Dogs of War, Bark and Bite:
In honor of Charlie's birthday, Napoleon in Adams-Morgan became occupied territory, only we were wise enough to leave before our welcome wore out. Or something. However, afterward, a residual force made the decision to venture to M'Dawg, the fancy hot-dog joint that's been written up in Food & Wine. I'd never been there, despite being curious about the place for over a year.

M'Dawg is not worth your money, of which they'll take a lot. Yeah, they've got a lot condiments, and it's nice to sprinkle bacon bits and sauteed mushrooms on a hot dog. But the hot dog itself was decidedly mediocre. The offerings from Nathan's or Hebrew National that you can buy in the supermarket are markedly superior. For $4.50 I got the bare minimum offering, I think -- not the $15 Kobe beef hot dog (!) or anything -- and by the last few bites I was thinking of all the bubble gum I could have bought with that money.
--Spencer Ackerman
You're 1000 miles away from good hot dogs. Check out Hot Dougs at California and Roscoe on Chicago's near northwest side the next time you're in town.
Blogger dbt | 10:44 AM

You know, the one time I was in Chicago -- last summer, to help my then-girlfriend's brother find an apartment as he enrolled in grad school -- I saw all these great-looking hot dog places, and then didn't eat at any of them. Next time I won't make the same mistake.
Blogger Spencer Ackerman | 6:14 PM